Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mkmabry87

Ctc

My eligibility for the advance child tax credit payment is pending. Why would that be when I received the 2020 credit on my tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Ctc

If the Child Tax Credit Update Portal returns a “pending eligibility” status, it means the IRS is still trying to determine whether you qualify. The IRS won't send you any monthly payments until it can confirm your status.

It takes the IRS to process tax returns and update your record. As soon as the IRS is finished processing your return your record will update. The IRS currently still process over 35 million 2020 tax returns for various reasons.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fkbright
Expert Alumni

Ctc

Good afternoon!

I am sorry your advanced payment on the child tax credit is still pending.  Unfortunately the IRS has experienced a number of delays and issues involving this and other programs.  Recent reports indicate that the IRS has a backlog of over 35 million tax returns to process.

If the Child Tax Credit Update Portal indicates your payment is pending eligibility, the IRS is reviewing your account to determine if you are eligible.   Unfortunately there is no way to know how long it will take the IRS to complete their review.

During this time, you will not receive the advance child tax credit payments until your eligibility is confirmed. If the IRS cannot confirm the payments in 2021, you may claim the credit on your 2021 tax return when you file in 2022. 

You can use this link to the portal to ensure that you are enrolled and see if any payments have been processed:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-update-portal

Kind regards,

fkbright

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies