turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

[Tax Year 2019] Combined items on Form 8283 imported from ItsDeductible are over $1000, but columns e, f, and g are not filled out

I used ItsDeductible for items that I donated to a non-profit's thrift store. The total for a single day was a little over $1000 (years worth of things donated in one day), but this was a lot of relatively inexpensive items (nothing was even close to $100). Even though ItsDeductible does a great job categorizing everything, TurboTax has the form filled out with everything together under a single "Clothing, Footwear, Accessories & Household items" description. I suppose this is fine (although the IRS's instructions say to be detailed, and this is hardly detailed). The problem is that the single line under Part I is over $1000, but columns e, f, and g, which should be filled out for items over $500, are not filled out. While I understand these only need to be filled out if any item is over $500, and none of my items are over this amount, how does the IRS know the maximum value any single item? Will this possibly be rejected or increase my risk of an audit since the line is well over $500 but columns e, f, and g aren't filled out? Or does TurboTax submit my ItsDeductible item list electronically in the background, so I don't need to worry about this? Does Form 8283 get submitted electronically just as it looks in the review documents?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

[Tax Year 2019] Combined items on Form 8283 imported from ItsDeductible are over $1000, but columns e, f, and g are not filled out

It is not a problem that columns e,f,and g are not completed. On donations over $500 but less than $5,000, you may combine groups of similar items, which is what TurboTax is doing for you. Also, since no individual item is over $500, columns e, f, and g are not populating and do not need to be.

It is unlikely that what you described will increase your audit risk, and will certainly not result in your return being rejected.

The Form 8283 that is electronically filed with your tax return will appear similar to how TurboTax displays it; however, the IRS does not receive any accompanying worksheets like the ItsDeductible worksheet. They only receive the Form 8283.

Check out IRS Publication 526 for more details on non-cash donations of household goods.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

It is not a problem that columns e,f,and g are not completed. On donations over $500 but less than $5,000, you may combine groups of similar items, which is what TurboTax is doing for you. Also, since no individual item is over $500, columns e, f, and g are not populating and do not need to be.

It is unlikely that what you described will increase your audit risk, and will certainly not result in your return being rejected.

The Form 8283 that is electronically filed with your tax return will appear similar to how TurboTax displays it; however, the IRS does not receive any accompanying worksheets like the ItsDeductible worksheet. They only receive the Form 8283.

Check out IRS Publication 526 for more details on non-cash donations of household goods.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies