turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child moved out

I had custody of my grand niece the last couple of years, she moved out and back with her dad on May 12, of this year. I don't know how or who I report it to. I need to not claim her for the 2021 taxes. And also when I went to search in TurboTax, I think I clicked the wrong button, it said married or new dependent, but it neither of those and I need to change that. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tsmeadow
Employee Tax Expert

Child moved out

Hello DS645,

You claimed your great niece that you had legal custody of on your 2020 Income tax return.  However, your grand niece moved back in with her father on May 12, 2021.  You want to know how to not claim your grand niece on your 2021 return and I assume not receive the Advance Child Tax Credit for her moving forward.  

You can unenroll from the 2021 Advance Child Tax Credit payments using the IRS Advance Child Tax Credit Portal.  Please find the link to the portal below.  

Link: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

You will need to click "Manage Payments," sign up for your account, and then choose to unenroll from the advance child tax credit payments.  

Also, if you do not want to claim your grand niece on your 2021 return, you will just exclude her from your return when you prepare the return in early 2022.  You do not need to make any changes to your 2020 return that has been filed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
tsmeadow
Employee Tax Expert

Child moved out

Hello DS645,

You claimed your great niece that you had legal custody of on your 2020 Income tax return.  However, your grand niece moved back in with her father on May 12, 2021.  You want to know how to not claim your grand niece on your 2021 return and I assume not receive the Advance Child Tax Credit for her moving forward.  

You can unenroll from the 2021 Advance Child Tax Credit payments using the IRS Advance Child Tax Credit Portal.  Please find the link to the portal below.  

Link: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

You will need to click "Manage Payments," sign up for your account, and then choose to unenroll from the advance child tax credit payments.  

Also, if you do not want to claim your grand niece on your 2021 return, you will just exclude her from your return when you prepare the return in early 2022.  You do not need to make any changes to your 2020 return that has been filed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies