Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Check This Entry won't take the Cash Charitable I entered, why not?

During Federal Review, I am getting error Cash Charitable is too large, but I have entered the max of 300.   I did not itemize, but in 2020 you should be able to enter 300 even if you don't itemized.  .
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

To write off any cash contributions, no matter how small, you need a canceled check, bank record or a receipt with the charity's name and donation amount. That means that putting cash in the church collection plate or the Salvation Army bucket is a no-no if you want to be able to take a deduction for it.

As with all deductions, timing is everything. You can take the deduction for your contribution in the year that you make it.

• For example, if you mailed a check to your favorite charity on December 31, you can write it off on that year's tax return.
  • If you charge the donation on a credit card, the write-off is claimed in the year the charge is made, even if you don't pay the credit card bill until the following year.
  • But a pledge to make a donation is different: Because it's only a promise to make a future donation, there's no deduction until you actually follow through.

I have a receipt for my donations but that not the issue.   The software won't take my entry?  

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you in the Federal Review in TurboTax Desktop?

I was able to enter the $300 charitable contribution in TurboTax Desktop by following these steps:

• Across the top of the screen, click on Federal Taxes.
  • Click on Deductions & Credits.
  • At the screen How do you want to enter your deductions and credits?, click on I’ll choose what I work on.
  • Across the top of the screen Your 2020 Deductions & Credits, scroll down to the bottom and click Done with deductions.
  • Continue until the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act.

• Enter your charitable cash contribution.  If you enter more than $300 (Single taxpayer), your deduction will be capped at $300..
  • Click Continue.
  • Click Done with Other.
  • Across the top of the screen, click Review, then Continue.
  • After Review is complete, click Step-by-Step in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
  • Select Form 1040 in the left hand column to review the entry on line 10b of the 1040.

This TurboTax Help states: 

• For 2020, even if you don’t itemize, you may take a charitable deduction of up to $300 for cash contributions made in 2020 to qualified organizations. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have done as indicated, but this items keeps coming up for review.  It states the following

Check This Entry

1040/104SR Wks: Cash Charitable is too large.

Cash Charitable 300.

Line 10b has 300.  

I am filing with a status of marrried joint return.

Why does this item keep coming up for review?  It isn't going to let me file electronically if this isn't fixed.  Is there a flaw in the program?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you using a TurboTax Desktop product?  Are you claiming the standard deduction?

In addition to the $300 deducted on line 10b of the 1040, have you added any other charitable contributions here? 

• Across the top of the screen, click on Personal.
  • Click on Deductions & Credits.
  • At the screen How do you want to enter your deductions and credits?, click on I’ll choose what I work on.
  • Across the top of the screen Your 2020 Deductions & Credits, scroll down to Charitable Contributions and click Start / Update.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies