Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value" I made no donations and it won't accept 0 or 0.00 It keeps autofilling with 0. How do I format the acceptable value?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

"Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value" I made no donations and it won't accept 0 or 0.00 It keeps autofilling with 0. How do I format the acceptable value?

There is a known issue that produces the message, Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value."  Try these steps:

First, clear your cache.

Your browser stores recently visited webpages as temporary files in a cache, which enables the pages to load more quickly when revisited.

However, a full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

Here are the official instructions for the most popular browsers:

Apple's official support site doesn't appear to contain instructions for clearing the cache in Safari. Your best bet is to search the Internet for clear Safari cache or similar search terms.

If your cache isn't the issue, it might be best to delete it and start again.

Next, sign back into TurboTax and try the following:

1. Go to the Deductions and Credits tab
  2. Select Review/Edit
  3. To the right of Standard Deduction, click Edit
  4. ​​Click OK, Sounds Good when you see it.
  5. Click Wrap Up Tax Breaks
  6. Click Continue

The Charitable Donations question should either not appear at all, or the amount should be zero.  

If this didn't work, and you still experience the same error, try deleting a charitable donation form floating in the background:

1. Go to Tax Tools on the left panel of the screen
  2. Click on Tools 
  3. Click on Delete a form
  4. If you see a form with a charitable donation on it, delete it and take steps 1-5 again. 

ard1902
Returning Member

One of the tip was to delete the form in the background by going to Tools and select "delete a Form" The online software I purchased do not have that option to delete a form. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To delete a form in the CD/Download, there is not a distinct location to delete this worksheet. It is better to run through these steps to let TurboTax calculate this.

To make sure all the forms are working as intended, please be sure that any overrides are deleted. 

Second, the order of operations to get the above-the-line deduction requires you to recalculate your tax breaks before the CARES Act Charitable Donation screen will be prompted. Only qualifying contributions will be included.

To qualify for the above-the-line charitable donation deduction, the IRS clarifies that the contribution must be:

• a cash contribution;
  • made to a qualifying organization;
  • made during the calendar year 2020

To do this in TurboTax CD/Download, go to Deductions & Credits and select I'll choose what I work on.

• First, enter in the charitable donation amount as you normally would in the Charitable Donations section of Deductions & Credits.
  • When finished entering all donations, select Done with Charitable Donations and Continue.
  • Scroll to the end of the Deductions & Credits page and select Done with Deductions.
    • You may need to respond to any other additional questions. You will eventually see: The Standard Deduction is Right for You! 
    • Click Continue.
    • Now, you will see Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act where you will see any qualified contribution amount already entered from your earlier posts. Select Continue

When I tested this, I did get the worksheet and Form 1040 to be in agreement. 

For more information, see IRS Charitable Contributions Deductions.

@ard1902

This guy figured it out.

Thanks for your response but wrong answer. TurboTax Tech had me copy the number from below the wording for entry 10a. In my case it was $4 ito the box they were asking to provide the corrected value. Problem solved."

This worked for me. My value was 2. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/error-on-f[product key removed]t...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies