turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

huascarcollado0
Returning Member

Can I claim my child as a dependent if majority of my income came from worker's compensation?

Hi! I worked for one month last year until I had an accident. After the accident, I started receiving worker's compensation, which I still receive today since I haven't been able to return to work. I have a 5 year old son that only lives with me and I fully support, even after my accident. 

Can I claim my son as my dependent on my taxes for 2019 even though I only received 2,000 on a W2 since the rest was worker's comp? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I claim my child as a dependent if majority of my income came from worker's compensation?

@huascarcollado0  - You can claim your child.  There is actually no requirement that you supported your child for him to be your dependent**.  But, it may not do you much good. 

The money you hear about people getting for just filing a tax return claiming kids requires them to  have some earned income (wages or self employment). Without earned income, they are not eligible for the "refundable" Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit.  Both credits are calculated on the amount of earned income you have. No earned income means no "refund". A small amount of earned income means a small refund. The child tax credit does not "kick in" unless you have at least $2500 of earned income.  Your credits will be based on what you earned  for the one month you did work. 

A child can be the “qualifying child” dependent of any close relative in the household. If you live with someone else, e.g. your parents, it may be better if they claim your child.

Instead, you could allow the non-custodial parent to claim the children.  Non-custodial parents are allowed to claim the child tax credit, but not the Earned income credit.

**There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax Credit. They are interrelated but the rules are different for each.  The support test for a QC is only that he didn't provide more than half his own support. All the IRS wants to know is that he lived with you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you supported him, then definitely claim him as a dependent.

huascarcollado0
Returning Member

How can I prove the IRS that I had enough money to support him? I am not being provided a tax document with what I earned through workers comp.

You don't need to prove that you had enough money to support him.  You could have had savings or other financial resources that the IRS doesn't know about.

huascarcollado0
Returning Member

Thanks for the insight! I will claim my child as my dependent. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

@huascarcollado0  - You can claim your child.  There is actually no requirement that you supported your child for him to be your dependent**.  But, it may not do you much good. 

The money you hear about people getting for just filing a tax return claiming kids requires them to  have some earned income (wages or self employment). Without earned income, they are not eligible for the "refundable" Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit.  Both credits are calculated on the amount of earned income you have. No earned income means no "refund". A small amount of earned income means a small refund. The child tax credit does not "kick in" unless you have at least $2500 of earned income.  Your credits will be based on what you earned  for the one month you did work. 

A child can be the “qualifying child” dependent of any close relative in the household. If you live with someone else, e.g. your parents, it may be better if they claim your child.

Instead, you could allow the non-custodial parent to claim the children.  Non-custodial parents are allowed to claim the child tax credit, but not the Earned income credit.

**There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax Credit. They are interrelated but the rules are different for each.  The support test for a QC is only that he didn't provide more than half his own support. All the IRS wants to know is that he lived with you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies