turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bug? Retirement Savings Contribution Credit not working

When I click Update on this button (the current value is $0) it just keeps me/returns me to the Deductions and Credits summary page.  Based on the criteria, this return should be eligible for the credit. FWIW, I exited this section to correct something else then tried to come back. @TurboTaxSusan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

The Retirement Savings Contributions Credit (“Saver’s credit”) is very limited and is for low income people. See the table on  Form 8880: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8880.pdf

You, or your spouse, must  not have taken money out of a retirement account (including drawing a pension) in the last three years. See line 2 on form 8880.

It is not a refundable credit. You must have a tax liability to take the credit against.

TurboTax (TT) will check this automatically when it sees you made a qualified contribution. If you want to verify that happened;  enter in TT at:

Federal Taxes Tab 

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

-Retirement and Investment

- Retirement Savings Contribution Credit

Thanks. We may or may not be eligible for the credit (and because of the way the numbers work, the value would be tiny) but TT isn't opening the dialogue or providing any message that we're not eligible. There's definitely a bug in the desktop software.

llg2

Same issue! And I'm not able to update line D on Form 8880 either. I do qualify for the credit, and the Deductions & Income section isn't showing that I do.

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

"Deductions & Income section" - I am not familiar with this section. Did you mean "Deductions & Credits"?

"line D on Form 8880"- there is no line D on the 8880. What are you referring to?

Are you filing MFJ? Are you (or your spouse if MFJ) a student? What is your AGI?

As Hal_Al noted above, it's actually difficult to qualify for the credit, because most people with so little income are either students or don't have the spare dollars to contribute to retirement.

There are a couple of other reasons why you might fail to qualify: "(a) was born after January 1, 2004; (b) is claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2021 tax return;"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies