Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 7 is not check on my 1098 but the address has been filled in Box 8. Is this the same as Box 7 being checked?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
Rickturbo

Box 7 is not check on my 1098 but the address has been filled in Box 8. Is this the same as Box 7 being checked?

I had the same or at least a similar question. TT states, "Is block 7 checked?" I did not have a check, but had a narrative statement that referred to the address in block 8. When I asked what to do, here was the response I received and I hope it helps you too:

If box 7 of form 1098 is unchecked and box 8 contains an address, then in TurboTax leave box 7 unchecked (answer N0 to the question) and enter the address in box 8.

If the address in box 8 is your principal residence or your second home, you can claim mortgage interest reported on your form 1098.

Briari307

Why don't Turbo Tax CD software list line 8 so I can enter the address?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Instead of asking for the address of your property, during the Form 1098 mortgage interest questions TurboTax asks "Is this loan secured by a property of yours".  In follow up questions, TurboTax asks questions to ascertain the extent to which the loan was used for your home versus "some other purpose".  That is the "crux" of the information needed, not the actual address of the property.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Checking or unchecking box#7 gives substantial difference. Refund amount increases if the box 7 is checked and decreases if it is unchecked, so i guess it does make difference and all other questions asked by turbotax are not sufficient.

There is not box 8 on turbotax form to enter the address.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Box 7 on Form 1098 states: "If address of property securing mortgage is the same as PAYER’S/BORROWER’S address, check the box, or enter the address or description in box 8."

If box 7 is checked, Box 8 does NOT have to be filled in.  Further on in the interview, TurboTax will ask Is this loan secured by a property of yours?

If box 7 is not checked, the mortgage interest you entered may not be deductible, and could cause your refund to go down.

@taktaka

Exactly that is my point. Turbotax does not seem to take into account that if box 7 is not checked but same address is given in box 8 it should consider it as the same. I called my bank and asked them why they did not checked box 7. They said that I could still indicate on turbotax that box 7 is checked on the 1098, although it is not.

@Irene2805 btw turbotax does not ask me such question: Is this loan secured by a property of yours?

What shall i do?

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, mortgage interests were deductible only if you itemized your dedudtion. The 1098 Morgage Interest statement reports mortgage interest paid, property tax, and private mortgage insurance,  

Mortgage lenders either checked box 7 to confirmed the property and borrower's address were the same and some checked box 7 and enter the property address as well on box 8.. They're both the same as long as the address on your statement matched your home,  

@taktaka I have this same situation. Did you get an answer as to what you need to do? Should box 7 be checked on TurboTax when is not checked on the 1098 form, but the address has been filled out on box 8 (city, state, zip code)

looks like it is a turbotax bug. if box 7 is not checked in turbotax sometimes it will ask you in the next questions if the loan is secured with the house, and if it is, you select yes and in such case you do not need to select something in turbotax that does not appear on your 1098 form.

And it's still not fixed in 2023!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies