turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

boisse

AZ taxes. Turbo Tax is stating that I must enter a Charity Code. I only claimed donations to a reigious institution on my Federal returns. I am not claiming a Charity Contribution on my state taxes.

*religious
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
boisse

AZ taxes. Turbo Tax is stating that I must enter a Charity Code. I only claimed donations to a reigious institution on my Federal returns. I am not claiming a Charity Contribution on my state taxes.

I will also add that when I went back into my Federal returns and deleted Charitable Contributions this took care of the problem, but this lowered my return overall by $42.  

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

re-enter the charitable contribution and follow the steps to the end.  This is a qualifying donation and you will be allowed to claim it.  Be careful to answer the question accurately.

It's an organization that has been granted tax-exempt status by the IRS and is eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions.

Examples of qualified charitable organizations:

• Churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, and other religious organizations
  • Charities like Goodwill, United Way, Salvation Army, Red Cross, CARE, Boy/Girl Scouts, and Boys & Girls Clubs of America
  • Nonprofit schools, hospitals, and volunteer fire departments
  • Veterans' and certain cultural groups
  • Public parks and recreation facilities

If you're not sure of the organization's charitable status, contact them directly or use the IRS Exempt Organizations Lookup Tool.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Arizona gives you a direct tax credit up to a certain amount for any charitable donations you make, even if you don’t itemize your deductions on your federal return. I would certainly take the credit if it is allowed.

boisse

On my Fed I re-entered the specific amount of  gifts by cash (religious institution) as well as the standard deduction the Fed gives of $300 under Charitable Contribution under Cares Act. This also carried over to my AZ taxes, however, I am still given an error at the end to ‘Check this entry, AZ form 321, Charitable Code must be entered’. I looked on the list that is given of Qualifying Charitable Organizations and there are very few churches. The explanation given is that ‘charity must spend at least 50% of its budget on services to AZ residents who are low income, etc.’  However since I claimed this on Fed taxes under Cares Act, it is forcing me to complete it in AZ taxes. Seems like a glitch to me. I simply dont want to file AZ form 321 Credit for Contributions to Qualifying Charitable Organizations, but it doesn't give me that choice.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

In order to determine the charity code for the contributions you made to the federal return and carried to the AZ return, you will need to look up the correct charity code at the following link.

You will first need to determine if it is a  Qualifying Charitable Organizations (QCOs) or a Foster Care (QFCOs) to look it up on the chart at the following link.

It sound like the list you previously looked at may have been the Foster Care Charitable Organization (QFCO) instead of a Qualified Charitable Organization (QCO)

Use the following link to find your code:

AZ QFCO AND QCO charity code lists

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies