Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2021 Form 1116 Schedule B (carryovers) can't efile

Nah, not trying to get away with anything; just trying to understand the rule.  Thanks for your help.  Have to decide if it's worth sacrificing a minimal credit and e-filing or keeping the credit and using snail mail.  This is my first time using Turbotax for my personal returns and I'm not pleased.....

I've used TurboTax many times. I'm never pleased. 😎

I don't think you can skip taking it, but what you could try doing is efile without it, and then file an amended return on paper to take the credit carryover.  Since the IRS backlog of unprocessed paper returns is so large, I feel it is better to have an amended return stuck in the backlog than an original return.  I may have to do this with a 1041 Trust return, since it appears that Turbotax isn't planning to add the 1116 Schedule B to Turbotax Business.

3/3/22 update says form will be available in future update when I run a review of my taxes. However form availability on tt website says paper form avail on 3/31 and unsupported on efile, so still not sure which answer is correct

I am also interested in a workaround.  Wondering if there is a way to e-file without the form and then just mail it in as a "missing form" once it becomes available on 3/31.

Waited till today (3/3/2022) for the update to Form 1116 only to find that Schedule B is not there and I have no choice but to file by mail.  

TT unable to efile.JPG

Per TurboTax, New York State require e-filing which cannot be done either because the Federal tax filing cannot be e-filed.

NYS requirement to efile.jpg

Form 1116 Schedule B is available on the IRS website... why can't TurboTax go that extra step? 

Looked back at the forms availability list and this is what shows:

Form 1116 Schedule B available 03-31-2022 but not for e-filing.jpg

It will be available for Print on 03/31/2022 but e-file will be unsupported.

This is complete BS.  I've been done, waiting for 3/3 to file, and now I can't e-file at all, I have to wait for 3/31 to paper file?  What is the holdup here? Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and file and amend it later.  Thanks TT!

I'm going to try @Taxachusetts suggestion and use OLT.com.  I'd rather not deal with an amended return.  I've also been waiting for 1116 to be released only to find out I need Schedule B and they are not supporting online filing.

I've been using TT for over 20 years now.  Never been that happy with them since I found out about their lobbying efforts to complicate online filing and their efforts to hide the free file option.  I guess this is the straw.

I have also been waiting for today to finally finish my taxes and efile. I have been a happy user of Turbo Tax for years and find this wait till the end of the month unacceptable. Get it together TurboTax. If you can get Form 1116 out today you should have all supporting schedules as well.

Is this supported in TaxAct? I'm ready to switch. Totally ridiculous. 

Same problem for me. Has been using TT for 10+ years. Very frustrated about the issue!

It seems that Form 1116 schedule B is not available at all even for recording the ongoing carryover to 2022.

"This will require Form 1116 Schedule B, which will be available in a future product update".

Is this just a product release delay issue?? Could someone from TT comment on this?

Add me to the list of frustrated multiyear TurboTax users.  I waited till today to complete my tax return (which otherwise was ready on February 9) specifically due to needing Form 1116.  Now I learn 1116 Sch B will not be supported in E-file, AND I have to wait till March 31 to even complete a paper filing (which will put me in the IRS' 10-month backlog) - all for $30 in credit?  If I didn't think it would impact future returns I would just not claim a carryforward.

Goodbye, Intuit.

jcbaykal
Returning Member

I had the same problem. I solved by preferring foreign tax DEDUCTION instead of CREDIT. It eliminated the requirement for filing 1116 and  B. The foreign taxes was about 500 USD. It worked well for me keeping the the tax to be paid the same. Now it can be e-filed.

Glad that worked for you.  It's not viable for me since switching to deduction results in a $78 smaller refund.

I have requested a partial refund from Intuit for the amount equal to the additional refund I would have received if TurboTax supported Schedule B.  We'll see what happens.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies