turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kay21

Qualify for Georgia adjustment for High Deductible Health Insurance Family premium paid after tax with OOP max in-network $7400 and out-of-network $14800?

The criteria say family health plan has a deductible of at least $2,400 and out-of-pocket of $12,100. My deductible for both in and out network > $2400, but my in-network OOP < $12100 and my out >$12100.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Qualify for Georgia adjustment for High Deductible Health Insurance Family premium paid after tax with OOP max in-network $7400 and out-of-network $14800?

If you paid for health insurance premiums with after-tax dollars, you will need to find out if the policy is an HDHP policy under the IRS's rules.

Enter this deduction ONLY if

• your paid health insurance premiums with after-tax dollars (as I noted, not the usual case) AND if
  • your health insurance company says that your policy is an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan) under the IRS rules (they will know).
  • Otherwise, don't enter anything.

There is more to being an HDHP than just the premiums and limits. You will be better off just asking your health insurer carrier.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kay21

Thanks for trying to answer.

It is definitely HDHP and premiums definitely paid after-tax.

Early retiree paying premiums with post-tax dollars.

narayanshrestha
Returning Member

I have this scenario where I paid premium with after tax dollars after i was laid off and coverage was  extended for six months. The plan was high deductible and meets the deductible and out of pocket max conditions but my carrier says they do not know what is IRS definition of HDHP.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Your carrier can review IRS Pub 969 to learn about what an HDHP policy is.

However, I would be inclined to think that if they don't know the IRS definition of an HDHP policy, then they are probably not selling an HDHP policy.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies