Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Property taxes for 2022 was paid by my mortgage lender in 2023. Should I declare them in 2023 IRS return?

The 1098 from my bank for the year 2022 does not have any value in the property taxes box. Upon inquiring they said they paid the property taxes due for 2022 this year March instead. The county website also reflects that the amount they paid in March 2023 was for the 2022 property taxes. 

My question is, can I still declare this amount as property taxes paid when filing IRS return for the fiscal year 2022 (which I am filing this year) or should I actually be declaring it in my IRS filing for fiscal year 2023 (which I will be filing in the year 2024)

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Property taxes for 2022 was paid by my mortgage lender in 2023. Should I declare them in 2023 IRS return?

No, you must deduct your property taxes in the year they are paid so you will need to wait until next year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It does not matter when the taxes were "for"----it matters which year the property tax was actually paid.  So if it was paid in 2023, you will enter it on a 2023 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you @MaryK4 

Thank you @xmasbaby0 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies