Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kyle94607

Property is owned by joint tenants with my brother(50/50). We sold the property , how I report the capital gained by using Turbotax? No option to report 50% ownerhship

Property is owned by joint tenants with my brother(50/50). We sold the property in 2018 , how I report the capital gained by using Turbotax? No option to report 50% ownerhship. Turbotax has only selling price but no ownership percentage in that section. Since we should report 50% of capital gain.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Property is owned by joint tenants with my brother(50/50). We sold the property , how I report the capital gained by using Turbotax? No option to report 50% ownerhship

You will need to manually adjust the sale price and cost basis to reflect your 50% ownership of the property. 

Your brother will do the same on his tax return. 

If ever questioned by the IRS, your deed will show the ownership percentages and serve as the basis for your adjustments.

It is not uncommon for property sale capital gains to be modified in this way to reflect joint ownership. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You will need to manually adjust the sale price and cost basis to reflect your 50% ownership of the property. 

Your brother will do the same on his tax return. 

If ever questioned by the IRS, your deed will show the ownership percentages and serve as the basis for your adjustments.

It is not uncommon for property sale capital gains to be modified in this way to reflect joint ownership. 

My name is in the deed of the house and the owner is my brother. We sold the house for Gain of $550K.

Does this mean, we both take $250K exemption? or is it only $250K per house as we are not in married relationship status? 

@stech wrote:

My name is in the deed of the house and the owner is my brother. We sold the house for Gain of $550K.

Does this mean, we both take $250K exemption? or is it only $250K per house as we are not in married relationship status? 

You can each exclude up to $250,000 in gain; the Section 121 exclusion applies to each individual (not to the house, itself) in your case.

TomD8
Level 15

"You can each exclude up to $250,000"

That's assuming you each lived in the house as your primary residence for two of the five years leading up to the date of sale.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies