turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

stucknat

Planning to use Dependent care FSA to pay grandparents for taking care of kid at our home in cash. Should I or them need to show anything on paper in terms of tax filing?

Hal_Al

Thanks for the quick response. My mother is a Green-card holder but was traveling in and out of US on a semi-regular basis until 2019. She spent about 9 months in US in 2019 and will probably be with us the whole year of 2020. I was hoping to claim her as a dependent this year before this DCFSA thing came up. So, are you saying I don't even have a choice in this matter i.e. I can't use the DCFSA to pay her for babysitting?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Planning to use Dependent care FSA to pay grandparents for taking care of kid at our home in cash. Should I or them need to show anything on paper in terms of tax filing?

I think so.  The general rule is that a potential dependent must be  e a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico. You may have to ask a new question.  I'm not up on the dependent rules for green card holders.  But, I think green card holder is the same as resident.

A green card holder is considered a US resident for tax purposes, even if they did not live in the US. In this case, it sounds like the mother lived in the US for nine months of 2019 and for most of 2020, which would make them a US resident even without a green card.

The taxpayer can claim their mother as a dependent if the mother’s taxable income is less than $4200 (for 2019, the figure is probably a bit higher for 2020) and the taxpayer paid more than half his mothers‘s support.

If the taxpayer can claim his mother as a dependent, then she is not an eligible care provider for a dependent care account, even if he doesn’t want to claim her.  

This creates a possible loophole. If the taxpayer paid their parent more than $4200 (or whatever the amount for 2020 will be, probably $4250 or $4300), then the parent can no longer be claimed as a dependent and the parent would be eligible to be a qualifying child care provider. I don’t think this is the intent of the law, but I am not aware of anything that bars it.   This taxpayer wants to pay their parent $2500 from their flexible care account; if they paid their parent an additional $1800 out of pocket, to bring the parent‘s wages over the threshold, then they would not claim their parent as a dependent and could use the flexible spending account.  They lose the $500 dependent credit for their parent, but they would not have to forfeit the $2500 in the flexible spending account.

Another option would be to claim reimbursement from the flexible spending account anyway and pay the parent the $2500. At tax time, the the use of the flexible spending account will be disallowed because the expense is not qualified (the caregiver is a dependent), and the $2500 will be added back to their taxable income as wages. But there is no penalty, and this may be better than forfeiting the money entirely.  (This is probably technically improper, because the taxpayer has to certify to the FSA trustee that the expenses are qualified, but I think there is a low risk of getting caught.)

Finally, the IRS has relaxed the rules on flexible spending accounts for 2020 due to the coronavirus. If the employer wishes to allow it, a taxpayer may cancel their enrollment in their dependent account midyear, even though the usual conditions for canceling such an account are not met. The employer does not have to allow midyear cancellations, and any money already in the account must remain in the account to be spent on qualified care.  There is also an extended carryover provision that will allow a taxpayer to carry unspent funds from 2020 over into 2021.  If the account is being funded by equal contributions from each paycheck, and if the employer allows midyear cancellations, this taxpayer might be able to stop any more money going in the account, so they would have less to spend out before the end of the year.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-20-29.pdf

opram

Except if the bulk of their income still came from you, then over half the parents's support would still be coming from that filer, and so that would not disqualify the parent as a possible dependent.

So if one has a parent who is a us resident, whose support (both documented income and otherwise) comes primarily from the filer, that parent would be unable to be a recipient of the DCFSA funds.

Do we have any clarification from the IRS regarding this scenario?  I assume it will be somewhat common due to the coronavirus situation but id be surprised if it hadn't come up before at least in a more limited number of cases.  And does anyone know what the possible penalties would look like?

@opram  I’m not sure what you are trying to add here.  A parent is automatically disqualified from being claimed as a dependent if they have more than $4300 in taxable income, regardless of who pays it.  

it’s certainly possible that the IRS might see such an arrangement as a sham transaction.  But if all the appropriate forms and paperwork is provided, such as paying household employee tax if the parent lives with family, then there is nothing on paper that bars this treatment.

As far as penalties are concerned, the IRS places the burden of compliance for dependent care FSAs on the employer or on the company that the employer selects to administer the benefit. If the employer is found in an audit to be allowing improper reimbursements from an FSA, then the employer can be subject to additional taxes and penalties.  I would expect that if the employee knowingly signs a false reimbursement claim, they could also be subject to tax and penalty from the IRS as well as action by their employer, but I am not 100% clear on this.

There is also no need for anyone to pay a penalty or to forfeit money in a dependent care account this year due to the coronavirus. The IRS has issued guidance that if a persons child care circumstances have changed due to the coronavirus, they may cancel or amend their dependent care election during the year, which is not normally allowed. Therefore, if you know you won’t be able to spend the money you can cancel the account for the year.

Jaguar

Hi,

Regarding your statement, There is also no need for anyone to pay a penalty or to forfeit money in a dependent care account this year due to the coronavirus. The IRS has issued guidance that if a persons child care circumstances have changed due to the coronavirus, they may cancel or amend their dependent care election during the year, which is not normally allowed. Therefore, if you know you won’t be able to spend the money you can cancel the account for the year.”....is this really true?

My understanding is that just because you cancel/amend your dependent care election mid-year due to the coronavirus, money may no longer be deducted from your paycheck, however, you either have to claim a legitimate dependent care expense or forfeit any money that has ALREADY been deducted from previous paychecks.  Is this accurate?

if not, how can someone “return” the amount that has already been deducted from previous paychecks?

@Jaguar wrote:

Hi,

Regarding your statement, There is also no need for anyone to pay a penalty or to forfeit money in a dependent care account this year due to the coronavirus. The IRS has issued guidance that if a persons child care circumstances have changed due to the coronavirus, they may cancel or amend their dependent care election during the year, which is not normally allowed. Therefore, if you know you won’t be able to spend the money you can cancel the account for the year.”....is this really true?

My understanding is that just because you cancel/amend your dependent care election mid-year due to the coronavirus, money may no longer be deducted from your paycheck, however, you either have to claim a legitimate dependent care expense or forfeit any money that has ALREADY been deducted from previous paychecks.  Is this accurate?

if not, how can someone “return” the amount that has already been deducted from previous paychecks?

You are correct that money, once in the account, can only be spent on qualified care.  The IRS released their FSA relief plan in May, which, if acted on immediately, would have allowed you to keep up to 7 months of funds out of the account.  Your employer should have notified you of the opportunity to change your FSA.  There are no indications (yet) that would allow money to be removed or used elsewhere, it might take a change in the law rather than administrative action.

Your employer can also create a grace period if they don't already have one, that might allow you to use the 2020 DCFSA for care provided in the first 2 months of 2021.  The IRS could potentially extend the grace period as well, but have not done so yet.  

Nigel_K

I apologize but I've read through this entire thread and I'm still confused. Here's the situation: 

I have $5K in DC FSA. I've claimed $3K since my daughter used that funds for day care. Covid happened so I pulled her out of day care and my mother in law helped and we are paying her instead. 

My mother in law is currently unemployed (for the entire 2020), and we are paying her. She doesn't live with us and is not our dependent. 

From what I am reading, I do not have to give her a W-2. I can claim DC FSA with after paying her. What do I need to show to claim the money? Also, what does she need to do in her tax filing? 

Thanks. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.   Do  I have to give her a W-2?

A.  You do not "have to".  You could and some say "should" give he one if she worked in your home*. But, she can report the income without a W-2.

Q. I can claim DC FSA with after paying her. What do I need to show to claim the money?

A. Yes. The IRS requires no paper work.  Your DCFSA administrator may. Ask them. Usually it just a matter of providing a name and SS# on a form.

Q. What does she need to do in her tax filing? 

A. If she is a household employee, she's reports the wages on line 1 of form 1040 with the notation HSH.  She may not have to file  if her total income is less than $12,200 and she is not filing a joint return.  If she is self employed, she reports the income on Schedule C and also files Schedule SE to pay her social security and Medicare tax.  A self employed person  has to file with as little as $400 of income.

*If she works in your home, she is considered a Household Employee.  If she works in her home, she is a self employed person. 

Hello,

I am in a similar situation with DCFSA during COVID. 

We are using our mother to babysit our kids since March and would like to pay her $5000

She is retired, citizen, receives SS income and not our dependent. 

I was just going to give her the $5000 as cash for the year without any W-2 and submit the claim.

I am govt employee so use FSAFEDS and they have a general claim form (attached if anyone is interested)  

https://www.fsafeds.com/public/pdf/FSAFEDS-DCFSA-Claim-Form.pdf?h=nxhjspkwdttc5a3nf69a8uss1nk7zi79kx...

My understanding is that tax rules are more relaxed when paying a grandparent. You don't have to file all the employment forms. You just pay her, and she claims it as miscellaneous income.

I will have her fill out Schedule C when she files her federal taxes. 

Would she have any special obligations for state taxes?  We are all in CA. 

thanks

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. My understanding is that tax rules are more relaxed when paying a grandparent. You don't have to file all the employment forms.

A. Yes, that's essentially correct.

Q  You just pay her, and she claims it as miscellaneous income.

A. Not exactly. She does not claim it as "other" (misc) income. She claims it as self employment (Sch C)  if she baby sits in her home and as household employee wages (line 1 of form 1040) if she sits in your home.  It would be "OK" for a household employee to report it as other income, but not a self employed person. Household employee wages is "earned income". Other (misc.) income is not.  So, it's usually better for her to call it wages.

Q. Would she have any special obligations for state taxes?  

A. No, nothing special.  What ever she claims on the federal return "flows to" the state return. 

If care is provided in your home, the person is your household employee and you must issue them a W-2 if you pay them more than $2200 in the year. However, if they are your parent, you do not have to withhold Social Security tax or pay household employee’s tax.

If care is provided in their home, then you have no special tax reporting and you are free to pay them cash. However, the IRS puts the burden of compliance for the DCFSA rules on the employer and their plan administrator. So the plan administrator may ask for receipts or the caregiver’s tax ID number or other proof.  Then, correct reporting of the self-employment income by the caregiver is their responsibility.

ok thanks...

sounds like best option is for my mother to have provided care in her home and then she can fill out  schedule C.   That way I don't have the $2200 limit . 

Nigel_K

What is my mother in law is currently unemployed and is collecting unemployment. 
She lost her job in Dec 2019 and haven’t found a job since. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

@vhomer1977 

"Sounds like best option is for my mother to have provided care in her home and then she can fill out  schedule C.   That way I don't have the $2200 limit ."

No! You're misunderstanding the $2200 limit.  It has NOTHING to do with how much you can claim from a Dependent Care Account or  for the Dependent Care Credit.  It has to do with the threshold for when a household employee is subject to FICA (social security and Medicare) tax.  And Grandparent household employees are generally exempt from FICA  (the "nanny tax"), regardless of the amount. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies