Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Parents taxes filing rejected when daughter did not check box for someone else claim her

I was filing my daugher's taxes for the first time.  She is a 19 year old full-time student in college.  I forgot to check the box for "another taxpayer can claim her on their tax return."  I filed her taxes and they were accepted.  I went to file taxes for me and my wife and they were rejected because we tried to claim her as a dependent.  The exact message is:  

IND-517-01 - A Dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return where 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' or 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked.

I realize I can file amend my daughter's taxes but is it still true you can't do this electronically?  It has to be mailed and it may take 16 weeks?  I guess I could lose the $500 tax credit and just file and not claiming her.  I would hate to lose that.  Are there any other options?  I am receiving a pretty nice return even without her tax credit so I would hate to file an extension and wait up to 4 months!  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Parents taxes filing rejected when daughter did not check box for someone else claim her

Sorry------the only way you can file now is by mail.  Once you put her SSN into the system, you cannot e-file a return claiming her as a dependent.  In order to claim your daughter, you have to file by mail.    Amending takes months....the system will not "catch up" this year and allow you to e-file with her SSN claimed as a dependent.  Even requesting an extension will not help you.   

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies