turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Number of nights spent with each parent

Due to my work schedule, my son only gets to spend 8 nights a month with me. I do, however, look after him daily, pay for half of his pre-school and other needs, and is on my health insurance. Can I claim him as a dependent in any way or reap any other benefits that other taxpayers get?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

To add to VincentL's great post, I would note that whether you can claim the child as a dependent is up to you and the child's other parent. 

With the child only staying with you for 8 nights a month, you do not qualify as the custodial parent by the IRS definition. However, you might have or make an agreement with the other parent to allow you to claim the child as a dependent even when you're not the custodial parent. That's totally up to whatever you negotiated or can agree upon - often the question of claiming the child will be addressed in a divorce or custody/parenting agreement. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Requirements for the 2021 Child Tax Credit:

1) Age test 

2) Relationship test

3) Support test 

4) Dependent test - You must claim the child as a dependent on your tax return. Bear in mind that in order for you to claim a child as a dependent, he or she must:

• be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild;
  • be under age 19, or under age 24 and a full-time student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age;
  • have lived with you for more than half the year; and
  • have provided no more than half his or her own support for the year.

5) Citizenship test

6) Residence test - The child must have lived with you for more than half of the tax year for which you claim the credit. There are important exceptions, however:

• A child who was born (or died) during the tax year is considered to have lived with you for the entire year.
  • Temporary absences by you or the child for special circumstances, such as school, vacation, business, medical care, military services or detention in a juvenile facility, are counted as time the child lived with you.
  • There are also some exceptions to the residency test for children of divorced or separated parents.

7) Family income test

Also, dependent rules require that the dependent must have lived with you for more than half of the year.  Temporary absences impact the residency rule and count as time lived with you. These include:

• School
  • Vacation
  • Business
  • Medical care
  • Military services
  • Detention in a juvenile facility
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

To add to VincentL's great post, I would note that whether you can claim the child as a dependent is up to you and the child's other parent. 

With the child only staying with you for 8 nights a month, you do not qualify as the custodial parent by the IRS definition. However, you might have or make an agreement with the other parent to allow you to claim the child as a dependent even when you're not the custodial parent. That's totally up to whatever you negotiated or can agree upon - often the question of claiming the child will be addressed in a divorce or custody/parenting agreement. 

@jaybrownbike wrote:

Due to my work schedule, my son only gets to spend 8 nights a month with me. I do, however, look after him daily, pay for half of his pre-school and other needs, and is on my health insurance. Can I claim him as a dependent in any way or reap any other benefits that other taxpayers get?

Sorry but support is not counted for claiming a Qualifying Child dependent.  

The test that the IRS uses to determine the custodial parent is where the child lived for more than 1/2 (or greater part) of the year. The IRS will go so far as to require counting the nights spend in each household - that person is the custodial parent for tax purposes (if exactly equal and more than 183 days - The custodial parent is the parent with the highest AGI, if less than 183 days then neither parent has custody so the child cannot be claimed by either parent). And yes they are that picky.  (There are exceptions if a parent works nights that is explained in the Pub.)

See Custodial parent and noncustodial parent in Pub 501

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2020_publink1000220904

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

jaybrownbike,

I'm glad you found my answer helpful! I did want to add a few additional details you'll need to know if you are going this route.

1. If you are not the custodial parent and are claiming the child, you need to have the other parent sign Form 8332 and give it to you. You will need this when filing your tax return as proof that you are authorized to claim the child as a dependent that year.

2. The Form 8332 only allows you to claim the child as a dependent and get the Child Tax Credit. Since you are not the custodial parent you do not qualify for the Child and Dependent Care Credit and the child isn't a qualifying child for EIC for you. Those benefits always remain with the custodial parent. 

Thank you for your clarification, Nate. All great information to consider. It's too bad the IRS only acknowledges where the child sleeps and nothing else. Have a good day and thanks again. 

Jay

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies