Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which IRS section do I enter on form 4562 to amortize refinance closing costs?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

It seems that you're using the online Free edition of Turbo Tax, and the Free edition doesn't include Schedule A used for itemized deductions, which you would need to claim a mortgage interest deduction. If however, you're really using one of the other editions, go to Federal, then Deduction and Credits, and finally Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance. You'll be asked a series of questions about your mortgage and refinancing if any. 

Have a look at this as well: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899651-what-kinds-of-refinancing-costs-can-i-deduct

And: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901495-can-i-deduct-mortgage-points

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

I don't want to use the refinance question feature because the loan closed on 12/12 but the loan term doesn't start until 01/01, which is when the amortization should start.

Section 461.

Does TurboTax have an official answer for this?  I think their answer is 163, but I've read both 163 and 461 and I don't see where refinance closing costs are covered.  It shouldn't be that difficult to get an answer.

No, TurboTax does not have an official answer.  There are probably several options; however, Section 163 is not right.  That deals ONLY with Interest.

Intuit's unofficial answer is 446.  That is okay, but many very experienced tax experts prefer 461 over 446 (461 uses 446 as a starting point).  Regulation 1.461-1 says "If an expenditure results in the creation of an asset having a useful life which extends substantially beyond the close of the taxable year, such an expenditure may not be deductible, or may be deductible only in part, for the taxable year in which made."  

That basically says the general rule is the costs need to be spread out.

Other options are 263 and 162.  Regulation 1.263(a)-4 deals with capitalizing Intangibles.  Section 162 is deducting business expenses.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies