Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I paid property taxes then sold my house and got a refund for what was paid through escrow do I still enter that as property taxes on my tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If I paid property taxes then sold my house and got a refund for what was paid through escrow do I still enter that as property taxes on my tax return

No. The escrow funds refunded to you by the lender don't go anywhere on any tax return. Money in escrow is your money that you already paid taxes on. It remains your money until the lender uses it to pay a property related deductible expense with. The refund of that money in your escrow account to you, is not a property related deductible expense.

What if this is shown on my 1098 as property taxes
Carl
Level 15

Then they were not refunded to you. They were used to pay property taxes. If they were refunded to you, the only thing you would have gotten from the lender, would  have been a check.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies