Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No matter how often I try, the system will not enter the foreign (Canadian) tax paid on stock dividend reported on 1099 div. How do I endter the foreign tax paid?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

No matter how often I try, the system will not enter the foreign (Canadian) tax paid on stock dividend reported on 1099 div. How do I endter the foreign tax paid?

I'm not certain exactly which issue you are experiencing, so I will give you a two-part answer.  To enter the foreign tax you paid in TurboTax,

• In your Federal return, choose the tab for Wages & Income, then scroll down to Dividends on 1099-DIV and click Edit/Add
  • On the page Here's the dividend info we have so far Edit or +Add another broker or payer if you have not yet entered the 1099-DIV
  • On the page Let's get the details from your 1099-DIV or brokerage statement mark the check box under Box 1b - Qualified dividends that says My form has info in more than just these boxes (this is uncommon).
  • Enter your Foreign Tax Paid in Box 7 and Continue to complete the section

I know the software says, "If you have an entry in box 7 of your 1099-DIV, you might not have to do anything about it." But you'll have to visit the Foreign Tax Credits section under Deductions and Credits to enter the information required by the IRS, because there isn't a box for the foreign income reported on the 1099-DIV in the software.  You should be able to find the income on which the foreign tax was paid in your 1099-DIV details.

• In the Foreign Tax interview, on the page Tell Us About Your Foreign Taxes, choose the first option.
  • Continue through the interview, answering the questions.  Your "Country in which foreign tax was paid" when asked, should be answered "RIC" if from a Regulated Investment Company or Mutual Fund
  • Continue through the end of the interview.  Some information may be pre-filled.  Be certain it is correct.  The default payment date for RIC/mutual funds is 12/31, so do not change that date.  If you review your entries, they will be cleared and you will have to enter everything again, so I suggest you skip that step unless you think you made a mistake.

Please comment with further details if this does not resolve your issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies