turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

silvi2007

If my mortgage company sold my loan to another lender is that considered a new mortgage?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

If my mortgage company sold my loan to another lender is that considered a new mortgage?

No. It's the same mortgage for tax purposes. You should be getting two separate 1098 forms soon from both mortgage companies.

If, by chance, it was a refinance with points paid on the refi, those points would have to be spread out over the life of the loan.

View solution in original post

36 Replies

Hi what do we do about the loan balance question for the 2nd 1098?
MichaelDC

No. It's the same mortgage for tax purposes. You should be getting two separate 1098 forms soon from both mortgage companies.

If, by chance, it was a refinance with points paid on the refi, those points would have to be spread out over the life of the loan.

The Turbo Tax software does not seem to match this answer exactly. The 1098 for the purchased loan (new lender) has the original loan date but has a zero balance in box 2 for the loan balance at 1/1/18. If I enter zero, the software tells me that I need a balance for 1/1/18. I can enter the balance at 1/1/18 for the  original (sold loan), but I also have this amount for the original loan 1098. I can make the program work, but workaround does not seem accurate. It overstates the actual amount of debt I have at 1/1/18.

Hi, I am having the same situation. What do I do for the balances question for the 2nd 1098
donalfo

I have the same issue.  How can both 1098 forms be entered without losing the links to points and not having the tax form indicate 2 mortgages?  Really need to finish my taxes so an answer is important.

My resolution:
Put "ending balance" for loan 1(seller of loan) as zero (0) for 2018.
Put  balance for loan 2 (buyer of Mortgage ) as principal balance. (Value is required even though 1098 , box 2 is empty)
Loan Origination dates were the same for both lenders. (This indicates it is a grandfathered loan and not originated in 2018)

My resolution:
Put "ending balance" for loan 1(seller of loan) as zero (0) for 2018.
Put  balance for loan 2 (buyer of Mortgage ) as principal balance. (Value is required even though 1098 , box 2 is empty)
Loan Origination dates were the same for both lenders. (This indicates it is a grandfathered loan and not originated in 2018)

I pulled cash from refinance. do I put that on loan 1 or loan 2 the buyer
jobo440

WOW - This is a case the software does NOT lead you through nicely. The flow starts as if what matters is the 1098 form, which you would have 2 of if your mortgage was sold. But then if you continue through the flow it treats them as two different mortgages and counts points twice etc.

I'm going to report both 1098s and leave everything blank past what is actually on the 1098 for my 2nd lender.

This seems like a good approach/hack. I'm puzzling through this for 2019 tax year. the process has not improved.... Not clear which 1089 gets the figures put on it regarding pulling money out in refi process.

I'm having the same dilemma.  The flow for this makes no sense in Turbotax.  I've been stuck on this section for about 3 hours with no apparent solution, othering than paying $80 to talk to a live accountant through TurboTax's service.  It's really really irritating.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

When your loan is sold during the year, you should receive two Forms 1098.  One should be from the lender who owned the loan on January 1, 2019 and then sold it.  And the other should be from the lender who bought the loan and held it on December 31, 2019.  

When your mortgage is transferred to a new financial institution for servicing this is not a refinancing of your mortgage.  Your beginning Outstanding Mortgage Box 2 and Mortgage origination date Box 3 do not change when the servicing of your mortgage is transferred to another financial institution. 

Follow these steps to add mortgage interest deduction:

1. Under the Federal menu, choose Deductions & Credits
  2. Expand the menu for Your Home
  3. Click Start/Revisit next to Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098)
  4. Enter the information on the screens that follow
  5. When you have completed the first Form 1098 click Add another 1098 

6. When you have added the last 1098 click on Done 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cmpsax

@VictoriaD75  - Thanks for the walk-through of steps. 

My problem is that I don't see the "Add another 1098" button.  I just see "Add Another Lender" - and I believe that matches most folks' experience.

Your point about box 2 and 3 not changing on the 1098 - I think I get it but I'm not sure.

Can you explain how I can verify that the mortgage is being treated as the same mortgage in TurboTax - maybe which form in the Form View?

Asking this question as I'm in the "Fix your errors" section in the review.  Form 1098 (I have 4) is first one the list of course.

-Adam

jelpmac

My mortgage was sold to another loan company on Dec 3 2019 and they sent a 1098 for 1/2 the State Property taxes they paid. The new loan company also paid 1/2 of my State property tax but did not send a 1098. They did send me an email showing the State taxes they paid in December 2019. How do I do the 2nd 1098?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies