turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jzen009

Will my refund be delayed because I received the American Opportunity Tax Credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Will my refund be delayed because I received the American Opportunity Tax Credit?

No, a law was passed (the PATH Act) which delays the refunds if you claim the earned income credit or child tax credit, but it did not include the additional verification for the American Opportunity Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies

No, a law was passed (the PATH Act) which delays the refunds if you claim the earned income credit or child tax credit, but it did not include the additional verification for the American Opportunity Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

I waa just told from a representative that returns that have educational credits for 2017 tax year will be delayed until after May 1st for review.

Omg Thry are delaying returns! I cannot deal!

Omg Thry are delaying returns! I cannot deal!

I was trying to research online if there is a delay with filing the college education credits because it’s been over a month now since our return was accepted and I cannot figure out what the hold up is how do I speak to a IRS representative

I was trying to research online if there is a delay with filing the college education credits because it’s been over a month now since our return was accepted and I cannot figure out what the hold up is how do I speak to a IRS representative
maglib
Level 11

The IRS has been reviewing all refundable credit tax returns with more scrutiny. Path Act specifically delayed processing EIC and EITC till mid February, 2018, the delay reported was 2/27/18 by the IRS for those returns.  But the IRS every year chooses sections of the return that they investigate more thoroughly.  They have been reviewing specifically education credits including AOTC of individuals claiming they paid over half their support with earned income yet only claimed small amounts of income, the refundable tax credit can only be claimed if you provided over half your own support with earned income is the rule and one of the questions asked during the TT interview.

Don't worry, if your return is randomly selected for review, the vast majority are ultimately processed in a short period of time after.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies