Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Talina420

New dependent

I am ordering how I add my new grandson he was born March 16 of 2021 so I can get the child tax credit from now until December like I do for his mother

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

New dependent

In order to qualify for this benefit program, the child you are claiming the credit for must be under the age of 17. A qualifying child must be a son, daughter, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild, niece, or nephew).

For every dependent child under the age of 6, families will get up to $3,600 under the expansion, or $300 per month. For every dependent child ages 6-17, the amount is $3,000, or $250 per month. 

The amount starts phasing out for families with higher incomes, above $150,000 for married couples filing jointly, or $112,500 for single parents who file as head of household.

You will probably need to receive the payments in 2022 when you file your 2021 tax return. I would still try the IRS website to see if you are able to update your record.

Here is the link to the IRS portal:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-update-portal

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

New dependent

Hi Talina420,

Thank you for posting your question in the forum today.

Although it is being reported that any babies born between January 1 through 31, 2021, would be eligible for the advance Child Tax Credit payments, you would have to make sure the child's social security number is timely obtained from the Social Security Administration and reported to the IRS on your behalf. Once that is confirmed as well as being a U.S. citizen.

From that point, you would then start to receive partial payments each month on the 15th of every month through December 15, 2021.

Read further:

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/taxes/child-tax-credit-parents-with-babies-born-in-2021-can-ge...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies