Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NeUnhappy

Nebraska tax credit for property taxes paid not acknowledged by Turbo Tax until 2023 return.

I have used Turbo Tax for many years to complete both my Federal and State 1040's.  When I was doing taxes for 2023 a couple of months ago Turbo Tax asked me to enter the amount of Nebraska Property Taxes paid in 2023 that went toward the local school district and to community colleges.  A separate schedule form was required by the State of Nebraska to complete the calculations determining the correct amount that would be credited toward the amount of state taxes paid.  I was due a refund from Nebraska and when I received it there was a note telling me that the refund amount had been reduced because an error had been made in the Property Tax refund amount.  I researched this and found out what the error was and called Turbo Tax to let them know where they made the error and why.    I was pleasantly surprised about this Property Tax credit given by Nebraska and had not heard about it or received it in the past.  Luckily I save all of my past tax returns and found that Nebraska has offered this tax credit since 2020.  I used Turbo Tax to file my taxes, both Federal and State each year from 2020 thru 2023.  Not only did Turbo Tax make a mistake in calculating the credit for 2023, but they failed to be aware of this credit that was offered by Nebraska starting in 2020, which was worth hundreds of dollars each year.  I will be calling Turbo Tax and express my disappointment and expecting them to file, at their expense, amended Nebraska 1040N's for 2020, 2021, and 2022 !  Any suggestions on how to easily and quickly get this done?  What telephone number to call?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Nebraska tax credit for property taxes paid not acknowledged by Turbo Tax until 2023 return.

TurboTax is generally a self-prepared software (unless you obtain a higher level of service) and will ask you questions in the interview section of the program in the federal and state sections to prepare any credits you are entitled to based upon your answers to those questions.  

There are some options available for you depending upon the level of service purchased when you prepared those returns.

If you feel the omission of the credit was an error, you can use this link to determine if you are entitled to any sort of guarantee.

You can also use this link to contact TurboTax.

I'd recommend amending your prior year state returns per the instructions on this link.  This will allow you to prepare corrected returns for your state and claim the Nebraska Property Tax Credit if you are entitled to them.  Be sure to pay attention to the questions in the state interview section of the program.  You will need to answer the applicable questions to generate the Nebraska credit for property owned.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies