turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My sister is 21 and she lived with me throughout the whole 2016 year. She did not work - she is an immigrant without an authorization for work. She is waiting to get approved from USCIS for a work permit (she is a refugee). Can I claim her as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

My sister is 21 and she lived with me throughout the whole 2016 year. She did not work - she is an immigrant without an authorization for work. She is waiting to get approved from USCIS for a work permit (she is a refugee). Can I claim her as a dependent?

According to the IRS, "You generally can’t claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. However, there is an exception for certain adopted children."  Unless your sister can meet this requirement, you cannot claim her as a dependent.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

According to the IRS, "You generally can’t claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. However, there is an exception for certain adopted children."  Unless your sister can meet this requirement, you cannot claim her as a dependent.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies