turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My return is saying that we don't qualify for the child tax credit but it doesn't explain why

It states that there was extenuating circumstance, but doesn't explain what it was
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AndreaG

My return is saying that we don't qualify for the child tax credit but it doesn't explain why

It depends on your exact circumstances. The purpose of the child tax credit, is ONLY to offset your tax liability. With the child tax credit, you can qualify for a credit of up to $1000 for each child that qualifies you for the credit. However, you cant get a credit that is larger than your tax liability. Additionally, if you have other nonrefundable credits that you are claiming, then together they cant total more than your tax liability. A nonrefundable credit is a credit that offsets your tax liability. Please refer to the following FAQ for additional information. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4488009

When you are unable to get the full benefit of the child tax credit, you might qualify for the additional child tax credit if you have earned income that is in excess of $3000 and you meet all the requirements. Please refer to the following FAQ to determine if you meet the requirements for the additional child tax credit. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4862549  

If you do have a tax liability, then it might be that your modified adjusted gross income is too high. Please refer to page 3 of Pub 972 under the headings, "limits on the credit" and "modified AGI" for additional information. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p972.pdf 

If you got a child tax credit, you will see an amount listed on line 52 of your Form 1040 or line 35 of your Form 1040A. If you did NOT get a child tax credit or did NOT get the full amount of the credit, you might have gotten the additional child tax credit which is the refundable portion of the child tax credit. If you got this credit, you will see an amount on line 67 of Form 1040 or line 43 of Form 1040A.

To review these entries on your Form 1040:

• click on "take me to my return"
  • Click on "my account" tab at the very top of the screen
  • Click on "tools"
  • Click on "view tax summary"
  • Click on "preview my 1040". This is part of a narrow white bar at the very top of the screen
  • When your 1040 form appears, you will be able to scroll through and look at the individual line items.
  • Click the "back" button when you want to return to your main Turbo Tax screen. The back button is part of a narrow white bar at the very top of the screen.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies