turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My only income is social security but I own a home where I pay interest and mortgage insurance. Should I file taxes?

My only income is my SSDI. I own a home. Can I somehow deduct the interest?

2) My 86 year old mom lives with me and am her caregiver. Can I get a deduction for being a caregiver since her and I are on either SSI or SSDI?

Thank you

Jeff

My only income is social security but I own a home where I pay interest and mortgage insurance. Should I file taxes?

Sorry---but if you did not pay any tax then you have nothing to deduct on a tax return.   If your only income was Social Security you do not need to file a tax return.    Are you being paid in some way to be a caregiver?

Did you and your mom receive the stimulus checks?  If you get Social Security it should have been sent to you automatically.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My son also lives with me and helps pay for the bills. If he claims me, then can he also claim the mortgage interest, PMI, & property taxes which is under my name?

HopeS
Expert Alumni

No, since in order for your son to claim the deduction he must have legal ownership of the property and a responsibility to pay the mortgage. Generally, this means that you both are on the mortgage and responsible for paying the loan.

The IRS lets you deduct your mortgage interest, but only if you itemize deductions

See the link below for more information:

Can I deduct my Mortgage Interest?

@sdonnelly12 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
busterose

My SSA, SSI, and dividends made from a short term bond fund is; $13,200, $645, and $1964.  $15,809 total.

Must I file taxes?

Do I pay taxes on Capital Gains?  The long term home we sold made profits.

Is the tax bracket for single, 69 yr old on benefits? %0 because of such low income?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Single seniors must file a tax return when their taxable income is over $14,700 in 2022.  In the scenario that you presented, your taxable income would be approximately $1,109.00.  However, you have other considerations.

Capital gains are taxable but included in the $14,700

Sale of a home could be taxable but there are some exclusions that could potentially make that transaction not taxable for you.  You said long term home so I assume you have lived in the home at least 2 of the past 5 years and never rented this home out.

If you receive an informational income-reporting document such as Form 1099-S, Proceeds From Real Estate Transactions, you must report the sale of the home even if the gain from the sale is excludable. Additionally, you must report the sale of the home if you can't exclude all of your capital gain from income.

Also, As long as you owned and lived in the home for two of the five years before the sale, up to $250,000 of profit is tax-free. And if you're married and file a joint return, that amount doubles to $500,000. If your profit from the sale is more than that, the excess is reported as a capital gain.

Low income could mean that you have a very low to $0 tax rate.

If you need additional assistance, please come back to this forum.

@busterose 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies