Solved: My moving expenses aren't showing up on the summary page of Deductions & Credits even though they are right when I click into it. Are they being calculated for my refund?

My moving expenses aren't showing up on the summary page of Deductions & Credits even though they are right when I click into it. Are they being calculated for my refund?

Unfortunately, if you aren't an active-duty member of the military, beginning with tax year 2018, you are no longer able to deduct moving expenses.  

Due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017, the moving expense deduction is no longer available in tax years 2018 – 2025.

For more information on the new tax law changes, check out this TurboTax FAQ:  2018 Tax Reform, What You Should Know.

Were you an active-duty member of the military?

No, I wasn’t. From what I can tell, my moving expenses should count as tax deductible since I moved 300+ miles for work, started my job a week after I moved, and my employer did not reimburse me.

I’m not sure if it’s just a glitch in turbo tax’s system, but I’m pretty sure my refund amount did not go up after I submitted my moving expenses.