Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My moving expenses aren't showing up on the summary page of Deductions & Credits even though they are right when I click into it. Are they being calculated for my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

My moving expenses aren't showing up on the summary page of Deductions & Credits even though they are right when I click into it. Are they being calculated for my refund?

Unfortunately, if you aren't an active-duty member of the military, beginning with tax year 2018, you are no longer able to deduct moving expenses.  

Due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017, the moving expense deduction is no longer available in tax years 2018 – 2025.

For more information on the new tax law changes, check out this TurboTax FAQ:  2018 Tax Reform, What You Should Know.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Were you an active-duty member of the military?

No, I wasn’t. From what I can tell, my moving expenses should count as tax deductible since I moved 300+ miles for work, started my job a week after I moved, and my employer did not reimburse me.

I’m not sure if it’s just a glitch in turbo tax’s system, but I’m pretty sure my refund amount did not go up after I submitted my moving expenses.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, if you aren't an active-duty member of the military, beginning with tax year 2018, you are no longer able to deduct moving expenses.  

Due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017, the moving expense deduction is no longer available in tax years 2018 – 2025.

For more information on the new tax law changes, check out this TurboTax FAQ:  2018 Tax Reform, What You Should Know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies