My husband and I have expenses for VolunteerFire/Police can I deduct these along with travel miles?

tpalmisano709

My husband and I volunteer at a Fire department, we have paid for uniforms, dues, hotel lodging for convention, travel miles and other miscellaneous things.  Can I deduct these?

IsabellaG

Yes, you can deduct out of pocket expenses as a volunteer, as a charitable deduction. Uniforms, dues and equipment would be included. 

For conventions, see   page 5 of this link:

"If a qualified organization selects you to attend a convention as its representative, you can deduct your unreimbursed expenses for travel, including reasonable amounts for meals and lodging, while away from home overnight for the convention.  You can't deduct personal expenses for sightseeing, fishing parties, theater tickets, or nightclubs. You also can't deduct travel, meals and lodging, and other expenses for your spouse or children. You can't deduct your travel expenses in attending a church convention if you go only as a member of your church rather than as a chosen representative."

Also see Travel, also on page 5.