Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My foreign spouse has no social security number and we do not live in the u.s. can i just leave her social security number bland on the turbo tax form

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

My foreign spouse has no social security number and we do not live in the u.s. can i just leave her social security number bland on the turbo tax form

Are you filing jointly or separately?

separately (she isn't filing, and I am not claiming her as a dependent or for any exemptions)
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Please see answer below.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As IRS does not allow e-filing without a SSN or ITIN on the tax return, you will have to submit your tax return by mail.  

-In the program, as you enter the information, leave the SSN space blank

-After you complete entering all the required information, print out returns and required forms.  Enter “NRA” in the space   for Spouse's identifying number. ( NRA stands for Nonresident Alien) Do not leave the space blank. 

-Submit all the forms and required documents to IRS based on the instructions on your print-out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies