Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sclaverie

My deductions are adjusted down compaired to last year by 12k... and I do not understand why.

Turbo tax did not make these adjustments last year and last year they were about the same.  Example, real estate taxes were 5225 adjusted to 2920; state and local taxes from 11982 to 6696.  I don't understand the explanation when I click on what the difference.  I hope this is not calculating standard deductions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My deductions are adjusted down compaired to last year by 12k... and I do not understand why.

There is a new cap/limit for state and local taxes for 2018 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that was passed in December of 2017. In 2017 and before you could deduct state and local taxes on your federal return without any limit on the amount; beginning in 2018 state and local taxes is limited to a $10k deduction. 

It sounds like this is the difference for you from 2017 to 2018. The total of your real estate taxes and "state and local taxes" (most likely your withholding from W-2s) is $9,616. If you also entered DMV fees or other personal property taxes that would likely be the remaining $384 to get you to the new $10k limitation. 

You can read more about these changes in this comprehensive article: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6971774

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There is a new cap/limit for state and local taxes for 2018 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that was passed in December of 2017. In 2017 and before you could deduct state and local taxes on your federal return without any limit on the amount; beginning in 2018 state and local taxes is limited to a $10k deduction. 

It sounds like this is the difference for you from 2017 to 2018. The total of your real estate taxes and "state and local taxes" (most likely your withholding from W-2s) is $9,616. If you also entered DMV fees or other personal property taxes that would likely be the remaining $384 to get you to the new $10k limitation. 

You can read more about these changes in this comprehensive article: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6971774

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies