pilot145xr

My daughter turned 17 in November and I just learned that a 17 year old is not eligible for the child tax credit. Is there an exemption if she's special needs?

She was adopted at an older age and is under the care of a therapist for dealing with conditions she was exposed to in a foreign orphanage.

Is there an exemption to the ending of the credit at age 17 for a special needs child?

Sorry, but there are NO exceptions to losing the child tax credit when the child turns 17.  You can still claim her as your dependent and get the personal exemption for her.