zombies9303

my daughter is 17 and is still in high school and I am not getting the tax credit for her

bluedeb

In order to receive the credit the child has to be under 17 at the end of the year.

For the second stimulus money, you could receive it for a child that is 17 as long as they turned 17 in the second half of 2020.

Hal_Al

@bluedeb  Do you have a reference for the "they turned 17 in the second half of 2020" rule? This is the first I'm hearing that and can't find a reference source on google

bluedeb

@Hal_Al   I found the information again in the following article:

The IRS will use people's 2019 tax returns to determine their stimulus payments, which means that teens who hit their 17th birthday in the second half of 2020 — after tax returns were due to the IRS — could still qualify.

https://www.kpax.com/news/u-s-and-the-world/second-stimulus-check-who-wont-be-getting-a-600-check

Also, my granddaughter turned 17 in Nov. of 2020, my son did get the $600 for my granddaughter who turned 17 in Nov.  2020.

Hal_Al

Thanks. I read that to say: you may have still gotten a check in 2020 for a child who turned 17 in 2020 (a loop hole).  But I don't take it to mean you can file a 2020 return and claim the rebate credit. 

bluedeb

@Hal_Al  I corrected my statement above, I meant to say my son did receive $600 for my granddaughter who turned 17 in Nov. of 2020.