Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

batt31

My 1099 does not reflect my dental premium for the deduction allowed to PSO how do I include the dental premiums

The dental premiums are deducted from my annuity, I do not pay the directly.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

My 1099 does not reflect my dental premium for the deduction allowed to PSO how do I include the dental premiums

Your 1099-R might show an amount for these dental insurance premiums in Box 5 (see screenshot).  If so, this amount is included in TurboTax calculations, so that you are not taxed on the premiums that are deducted from your retirement income.

If the amount of dental insurance premiums you paid from your annuity is not shown on your 1099-R, you can claim this amount as a medical expense in your return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
batt31

1099R does not reflect the dental premium paid.

If it was taken directly out of the box 1 amount and not reflected in box 5 then when you enter the 1099-R you will be asked of you are a PSO.  Answering yes will give a screen asking if the Pension Administrator Paid the health insurance, answering yes allows you to enter the amount whether or not it was in box 5.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The IRS does not require that the insurance premium be in box 5 on the 1099-R to deduct it.  See IRS Pub 575, page 6.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p575.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p575.pdf</a>

It will be reduce the taxable amount on the 1040 form line 16b with "PSO" next to it (line 12 on 1040A).
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
batt31

Thanks I think I got it.
disneyduet
Returning Member

Hi - Here's the catch the amount shown in box 5 on the 1099r does not include the dental part of the health insurance premiums however if I add the additional dental amount then it does not match the amount reported on the 1099R - Won't this create a problem if the amounts do not match? Also where else can I show it without itemizing? THANKS

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies