Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brianpoon92
Returning Member

My 1098 for 2018 showed in Box 10 "PROPERTY TAXES". I also closed on the home in 2018, does it include the taxes at closing? If not, where can I find and include that?

I closed on my home in 2018. Does my 1098 automatically include closing cost taxes? If not, will I need to find my closing statements and include the taxes? Are there only certain taxes I can include? This is my first time using real estate deductions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

My 1098 for 2018 showed in Box 10 "PROPERTY TAXES". I also closed on the home in 2018, does it include the taxes at closing? If not, where can I find and include that?

No your 1098 will not show property taxes paid at the closing of your home.  You will find the property taxes you paid at closing on your HUD-1 statement that you received at closing.  Real estate taxes are the only taxes that are deductible.  Transfer taxes paid at closing are added to the cost basis of your property and are not deductible.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

No your 1098 will not show property taxes paid at the closing of your home.  You will find the property taxes you paid at closing on your HUD-1 statement that you received at closing.  Real estate taxes are the only taxes that are deductible.  Transfer taxes paid at closing are added to the cost basis of your property and are not deductible.

brianpoon92
Returning Member

I looked through all the paperwork from closing and did not find something relating to HUD-1. I looked online and it seems that with the purchase year being 2018, the HUD-1 was replaced with "Closing Disclosure". Can you confirm this is correct? If so, then I did find it! Thank you for responding!
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Yes the HUD-1 was replaced by the "Closing Disclosure"  
You are welcome
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies