mother

Bristol2

mother

We pay 76% of all expenses for my mother as she has no assets and only receives social security net of Medicare premium and AARP prescription premiums. This amounts to approx. $40k per annum. Is any of this expense deductible from our income (pension and investment income only - not earned income) or can we only claim the $500 tax credit for a dependent?

mother

Living expenses for a dependent are never deductible.  However, any medical expenses you paid for her would be deductible on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.

Bristol2

mother

Thanks for you info

Mariam1

mother

My mother just came to Usa last week 2.21.20 and I already did my tax, the question is I just applied the social security for her and she will get her card in 3 weeks so can I claim her on my tax by adding amendment to my tax  

KarenJ2

mother

If she was not a US citizen or US resident in 2019 or a resident of Canada or Mexico, you cannot claim her as a dependent on your 2019 tax return.  To include her as a dependent on your 2020 she would need to meet the following requirements:

Rules for Claiming a Dependent on Your Tax Return