turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jojolaw69

Mortgage Insurance Premium paid upfront at closing on the purchase of a home

I paid an upfront premium MPI as part of my closing costs...this is separate from what was reported as being paid on the 1098. Is any of this amount deductible? I don't understand the 'spread over 84 months' information I'm finding in publication 936. It's confusing.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Publication 936, states that private mortgage insurance premiums must be amortized over an 84-month period. It means that even though you may have prepaid a larger amount when closing, you can only deduct the portion that is allocable for the months you paid in 2016.

Ex:  Prepaid $6000 in private mortgage premium when closing on my home on 7/1/2016. $6000/84 = $71.42. $71.42 is paid to the mortgage company with the mortgage payment for the rest of the year. You can deduct $71.42 X 6 months paid = $428.52 for 2016.

The rest of the prepaid amount is deducted in future tax years.

Note: For tax year 2017, private mortgage insurance premiums will no longer be deductible for personal residences.

[edited 1/17/2018 12:01 pm PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Publication 936, states that private mortgage insurance premiums must be amortized over an 84-month period. It means that even though you may have prepaid a larger amount when closing, you can only deduct the portion that is allocable for the months you paid in 2016. Ex:  Prepaid $6000 in private mortgage premium when closing on my home on 7/1/2016. $6000/84 = $71.42. $71.42 is paid to the mortgage company with the mortgage payment for the rest of the year. You can deduct $71.42 X 6 months paid = $428.52 for 2016.The rest of the prepaid amount is deducted in future tax years.
mt2

Does that amount get added in the same line that I put the MIP amount from my 1098? If not where does it go?
Charlie-Lunan
Returning Member

I have the same question. I'm assuming after you come up with the figure, you add it to the PMI payments you made that were reported in Box 5
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Publication 936, states that private mortgage insurance premiums must be amortized over an 84-month period. It means that even though you may have prepaid a larger amount when closing, you can only deduct the portion that is allocable for the months you paid in 2016.

Ex:  Prepaid $6000 in private mortgage premium when closing on my home on 7/1/2016. $6000/84 = $71.42. $71.42 is paid to the mortgage company with the mortgage payment for the rest of the year. You can deduct $71.42 X 6 months paid = $428.52 for 2016.

The rest of the prepaid amount is deducted in future tax years.

Note: For tax year 2017, private mortgage insurance premiums will no longer be deductible for personal residences.

[edited 1/17/2018 12:01 pm PST]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies