squirrel7

Medical expenses total is way higher than what I entered

I entered my HSA distributions as well as all my medical expenses (including medical expenses paid for with the HSA and those that were not, as instructed) and now in Turbotax, my final "medical expenses" amount shows up as almost double what I entered as medical expenses. Is my HSA distribution amount somehow included in that final "medical expenses" number? Did I push a wrong button somewhere?

You already used pre-tax money from the HSA to pay medical expenses.   You cannot deduct those same expenses again--do not put those in the medical expense section.   Only any OTHER out of pocket medical or dental expenses can be entered as a medical expense.

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical (including dental, vision, etc.)  expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2020—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding.  Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

Distributions from an HSA are not deductible medical expense on the Sch A and should not be reported as such.

What you may not realize is the medicare premiums on the Social Security statement SSA-1099 that you entered on that SS screen do get carried to the Sch A automatically.  

squirrel7

Thank you for your help! I didn't receive Social Security benefits so did not fill in the SSA-1099.

On Schedule A, I entered all medical expenses including ones that were paid for with the HSA. Should I only enter the medical expenses that weren't part of our HSA distribution amount?

How is the "medical expenses" total calculated?

Correct ... do NOT enter the expenses paid using the HSA account.  

MEDICAL EXPENSES

squirrel7

Ok, got it. Removing those entries did the trick bringing that number back down to what I expected. Thank you for your help!