turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medical expenses total is way higher than what I entered

I entered my HSA distributions as well as all my medical expenses (including medical expenses paid for with the HSA and those that were not, as instructed) and now in Turbotax, my final "medical expenses" amount shows up as almost double what I entered as medical expenses. Is my HSA distribution amount somehow included in that final "medical expenses" number? Did I push a wrong button somewhere?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You already used pre-tax money from the HSA to pay medical expenses.   You cannot deduct those same expenses again--do not put those in the medical expense section.   Only any OTHER out of pocket medical or dental expenses can be entered as a medical expense.

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical (including dental, vision, etc.)  expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2020—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding.  Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Distributions from an HSA are not deductible medical expense on the Sch A and should not be reported as such.

What you may not realize is the medicare premiums on the Social Security statement SSA-1099 that you entered on that SS screen do get carried to the Sch A automatically.  

Thank you for your help! I didn't receive Social Security benefits so did not fill in the SSA-1099.

On Schedule A, I entered all medical expenses including ones that were paid for with the HSA. Should I only enter the medical expenses that weren't part of our HSA distribution amount?

How is the "medical expenses" total calculated?

Correct ... do NOT enter the expenses paid using the HSA account.  

You already used pre-tax money from the HSA to pay medical expenses.   You cannot deduct those same expenses again--do not put those in the medical expense section.   Only any OTHER out of pocket medical or dental expenses can be entered as a medical expense.

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical (including dental, vision, etc.)  expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2020—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding.  Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Ok, got it. Removing those entries did the trick bringing that number back down to what I expected. Thank you for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies