turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brianpoon92
Returning Member

If I bought a house in 2018 that included energy saving items, can I claim it?

I bought a brand new home last year and it came with "newer" improvements installed. The Turbotax program indicated some items I might qualify to claim. I remember being given a list of items in the house with price costs for those items in the paperwork, but before I go digging and finding things, I'd like to know if I can even deduct those. The house was like a model home and we bought it after it was completely done. Since it came as part of the house, which is brand new, would I be able to claim it or must I be the one to purchase that item first (and not the builder)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

Maybe.  Pay particular attention to "Nonbusiness Energy Property Tax Credit (Expired December 31, 2017)" section in the article below.

Energy Tax Credit: Which Home Improvements Qualify? https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/home-ownership/energy-tax-credit-which-home-improvements-qualif...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

Maybe.  Pay particular attention to "Nonbusiness Energy Property Tax Credit (Expired December 31, 2017)" section in the article below.

Energy Tax Credit: Which Home Improvements Qualify? https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/home-ownership/energy-tax-credit-which-home-improvements-qualif...
TomK
Expert Alumni

Please see updated answer.
brianpoon92
Returning Member

I see... the 2018 tax year is limited to certain improvements only. I guess part of my question is also who can claim it if it was built into a brand new house- the buyer of the house or the builder? or both? 🙂
TomK
Expert Alumni

I'm sorry... if it's deductible, YOU can claim it as the new homebuyer.
brianpoon92
Returning Member

Awesome! Unfortunately, I bought my house after Nonbusiness Energy Property Tax Credit expired, but this is great to know for future reference! Thank you!!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies