turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was on foreign assignment from 2011-2015 and had taxes professionally prepared. I don't know if my preparer used the AMT Simplified Limitation Election. How do I know?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was on foreign assignment from 2011-2015 and had taxes professionally prepared. I don't know if my preparer used the AMT Simplified Limitation Election. How do I know?

Locate form 6251 from 2016. In the box labeled "simplified foreign tax credit  election smart worksheet". If the simplified was elected,  it will be so check marked.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Locate form 6251 from 2016. In the box labeled "simplified foreign tax credit  election smart worksheet". If the simplified was elected,  it will be so check marked.

jansondh

Does not answer the question (the box mentioned in the answer does not appear to be present on the 6251 form).
momtoisabelle
Returning Member

Did you ever find the answer to this question?
jansondh

The "recommended answer" did not answer my question (how can I tell if the simplified foreign tax credit election was used on prior returns).  I was able to contact the tax accounting company that filed my prior returns, and they told me the answer (for my specific returns) in a reply email.  They did not tell me where I could find this on any form from a prior return, so I am having to take them at their word.  

@jansondh   There is no 'easy' way to tell.  You would need to do the calculations to figure out which way was used.
momtoisabelle
Returning Member

Ok, thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies