Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

melee

Last year I could not do the foreign earned income exclusion because I moved out of the US in Aug 2016. Should I refile my 2016 taxes or can I use the credit this year?

Should I (or can I?) refile/adjust  my 2016 taxes because I moved out of the US in August 2016 & did not qualify for the foreign income exclusion taxes last year. Or can I get the credit for 2017? I will move back to US in June 2018 and have been out of the country over 330 days for 2017

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Last year I could not do the foreign earned income exclusion because I moved out of the US in Aug 2016. Should I refile my 2016 taxes or can I use the credit this year?

You would file an amended return for the 2016 tax year, if after you moved in August 2016 you met the 330 day rule over the next 365 days.  (some file an extension until they meet the 330 day test).

For 2017, you would file a return with the Foreign income exclusion.

For the amended return for 2016, please click on the following link for help.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You would file an amended return for the 2016 tax year, if after you moved in August 2016 you met the 330 day rule over the next 365 days.  (some file an extension until they meet the 330 day test).

For 2017, you would file a return with the Foreign income exclusion.

For the amended return for 2016, please click on the following link for help.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies