Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Changed status from F1 to H1B on October 16. I will be filing my taxes as a non-resident. Do I need to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes from from Oct 16 to Dec 31?

My employer withheld social security and medicare taxes after my status changed from F1 to H1B? Can I claim those in refunds? If no, how do I show that I was eligible for exemptions during my F1 while filing my returns?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Changed status from F1 to H1B on October 16. I will be filing my taxes as a non-resident. Do I need to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes from from Oct 16 to Dec 31?

When did you first enter the US on the F-visa?

June 2016
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Please see answer below.

I agree. But while filing 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, how do I show that I was on H1B status only from October 16 to Dec 31, 2018? How do I calculate how much I owe/ how much I'm owed based on my change of status in October?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I wish I could assist you here.  However, we do not cover information regarding nonresidents or form 1040NR related.  I would suggest you call or contact <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.sprintax.com/">https://www.sprintax.com/</a> for further assistance.  
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you do need to pay the FICA taxes.  

Per IRS, there are only certain kinds of H-visa that are exempt from the FICA taxes.  Once you change to an H-1B visa, you are subject to FICA taxes.  See FICA taxes for visaholders.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies