turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swlex1tax

In box 14 it states "gift". Is this considered a charitable cash donation or other?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In box 14 it states "gift". Is this considered a charitable cash donation or other?

In the comments under "Detail requests" you indicated that the "gift" amount in W-2 box 14 is gift cards that your employer gave you. The value of the gift cards should be included in your total wages in box 1. The entry in box 14 is just for your information. When you enter it in TurboTax, you should select Other for the description.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

The question is a little confusing but when its asking about gifts it wants to know did you receive a gift that you did not pay taxes on. For all charitable contributions their is actually a separate section in deductions that will ask you about charitable contributions. 
swlex1tax

Box 14 Other on my W2 lists "gift" and the amount I was given.  On the Turbo Tax form, when it asks for the amounts in box 14 and what it is for , there is not a "gift" listed in the selection.  There is a "charitable cash donation" listed or "other".  I am not sure what "gift" qualifies as. Either "Charitable Cash Donation" or just "Other".
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You have to ask your employer what it is. There are no standard rules for the items in box 14.

Is it money that was paid to you, or money that was deducted from your pay? In either case, what was it for? We have no way of knowing. You have to find out from your employer. If it was money that was paid to you, you also have to find out whether or not it is already included in the total wages in box 1 of your W-2.

When you find out what it is, and why it was paid to you or deducted from your pay, then we should be able to tell you how to enter it in TurboTax.
swlex1tax

It was gift cards that was given to me.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The value of the gift cards should be included in your total wages in box 1. The entry in box 14 is just for your information. When you enter it in TurboTax, you should select Other for the description.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In the comments under "Detail requests" you indicated that the "gift" amount in W-2 box 14 is gift cards that your employer gave you. The value of the gift cards should be included in your total wages in box 1. The entry in box 14 is just for your information. When you enter it in TurboTax, you should select Other for the description.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I assume you are asking about box 14 on a Form W-2. There are no rules or standards for the information in box 14, or for any abbreviations that are used. The employer can put pretty much whatever they want in that box. If there is something you don't understand, you have to ask the employer to explain it.

If it's a charitable contribution that was deducted from your pay, you need certain records in addition to the W-2 in order to claim a tax deduction for the contribution. The following is from IRS Publication 526, page 17.

"Payroll deductions. If you make a contribution by payroll deduction, you must keep:

"1. A pay stub, Form W-2, or other document furnished by your employer that shows the date and amount of the contribution, and

"2. A pledge card or other document prepared by or for the qualified organization that shows the name of the organization."

There are additional requirements if $250 or more was deducted from a single paycheck. See Publication 526, page 18 for details.

cindylb4

In box 14 of my tax is "gift cards".  I never accepted the gift cards.  How do they file for the funds if I never received or accepted it/them?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Only your employer knows what the amounts in Box 14 are for.   It could represent a charitable donation you made, or it could be a gift you received from your employer.  If you are like most people and unsure, use the Other - not classified or not on above list option for the category when entering it in to TurboTax.   Box 14 issues

@cindylb4     You will need to ask your employer why those amounts are on your w-2 and get a corrected w-2 if necessary.   When you enter the amounts from box 14 in TurboTax, use the Other-not classified or not on above list option as the category if you are unsure which category is applicable.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies