turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It's asking me to "Enter Medical Insurance or HMO Premiums" is that in box 12b code DD? If not, how do I find that number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It's asking me to "Enter Medical Insurance or HMO Premiums" is that in box 12b code DD? If not, how do I find that number?

Box 12b code DD is the amount your employer paid for your medical insurance.  You need to enter the amount you paid for medical insurance, unless your contributions are "pre-tax."  (Which they often are.)  

Please look at your year-end paycheck stub, which will show your deductions for such things as medical, dental, or vision insurance and Sec. 125 "cafeteria" plans, if you have one.  If they are before the Federal and State tax amounts, they are "pre-tax" and you don't get to deduct them again, as you already did not pay tax on them.  If they are after the Federal and State tax amounts, you will enter them in TurboTax.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Box 12b code DD is the amount your employer paid for your medical insurance.  You need to enter the amount you paid for medical insurance, unless your contributions are "pre-tax."  (Which they often are.)  

Please look at your year-end paycheck stub, which will show your deductions for such things as medical, dental, or vision insurance and Sec. 125 "cafeteria" plans, if you have one.  If they are before the Federal and State tax amounts, they are "pre-tax" and you don't get to deduct them again, as you already did not pay tax on them.  If they are after the Federal and State tax amounts, you will enter them in TurboTax.

herri1sd

I have post-tax life insurance, critical illness, and hospital idemnity. Are those deductible?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies