Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the cost of uniforms (shorts, jackets, etc.) I had to buy for work. What about cell phone and internet expense required for business; and mileage training

I had to drive out of town for training for my job and did not get reimbursed by my employer. I also had to use my personal cell phone and Internet for business and buy jackets and shirts to wear.  Can these all be deducted?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

Can I deduct the cost of uniforms (shorts, jackets, etc.) I had to buy for work. What about cell phone and internet expense required for business; and mileage training

It depends.

Uniforms -  According to the IRS, you will only be allowed to deduct your work clothes/uniform if:

• the clothes are mandatory for your job and unsuitable for everyday wear (Determine which work clothes are necessary for your job but not suitable to wear outside of work. However, just buying clothes specifically for work and never wearing them at any other time isn't good enough. The IRS has accepted deductions for theatrical costumes, hard hats and other safety gear. Among the items that do not qualify are overalls, white dress shirts, and bibs even if required on the job site. For example, even though your company requires you to wear a suit each day, you cannot deduct their cost since you can wear the suits to weddings, job interviews and other occasions that don't relate to work)
  • you itemize your deductions on your return (subject to 2% AGI limitation)

Unreimbursed business miles - Yes, if the training was for work, you will be able to claim these as unreimbursed business miles.

Internet and Phone use for business - Yes - but only the portion of these expenses that directly relates to business use.

Note that you can deduct your phone and Internet costs whether or not you take the home office deduction. If you're using the home office deduction, you'll detail the cost of your Internet usage in that portion of the tax return. You can also deduct items like fax machine usage and a business phone as long as they're used exclusively for business. For instance, you cannot claim a home phone in its entirety, but you may be able to deduct some of the expenses according to the amount of time you use the phone for business purposes.

Please see this link for additional information - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/Mobile-Phones--Internet-an...

You would enter these expenses (which are all subject to the 2% AGI limitation) in TurboTax under Federal Taxes>Deductions and Credits> I'll choose what I work on (or jump to full list)> scroll down to Employment Expenses> Job-related expenses (start/revisit/update). Use the TurboTax guide to help you enter these expense.

• Enter your occupation information
  • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Job-Related Expenses" you can put this information here

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies