turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i input mileage deductions

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

Where do i input mileage deductions

It depends

No - Mileage that is from personal use of the vehicle is considered a personal expense and is not deductible. (This would include commuting miles.)

Yes - Mileage that is from business use as both an employee (job-related) and as self-employer (business expense) is deductible. You can have both types of mileage in the same year. (Just make sure that you keep a record of your business mileage and whether the business mileage related to your job as an employee or your self-employment business.

Business miles can be deductible if you are an employee (as a job-related expense, if you itemize and are subject to a 2% AGI limitation) or if you are self-employed (as a business use of your vehicle) Also note that you will only be able to take a job-related deduction for mileage as an employee for unreimbursed business miles.

To deduct unreimbursed business miles as an employee in TurboTax Online (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here) or Desktop, please follow these steps:

You would enter your unreimbursed employment expenses under Federal Taxes>Deductions and Credits> I'll choose what I work on (or jump to full list)> scroll down to Employment Expenses> Job-related expenses (start/update). Use the TurboTax guide to help you enter these expense.

• Say "yes" to question "Did you have any of these expenses in 2015 for your W-2 income?" under the screen titled "Employment Expenses Related to a W-2".
  • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Job-Related Expenses" you can put this information here. List as "additional unreimbursed business miles"

To deduct business miles for self-employed in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Business"” tab
  2. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (jump to full list)
  3. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Business Income and Expense”
  4. Choose “Profit or Loss from Business ” and select start/revisit/update.
  5. If your business is already listed, choose to "edit"
  6. You will eventually get to a screen titled "Your () Business"
  7. Scroll down to Business Expenses and select "Business Vehicle Expense".

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Transportation Costs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies