Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Makeitmore
Returning Member

Is the money received from the sale of inherited property taxable???

I inherited real property in 1986. Have no means of finding out value of property from that date. Real estate realtor no help. Tax office does not keep records that old. What do I do now?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Keep looking.  The tax office does keep records that old.  They may not be easily accessible online, but they have them.  You may want to contact a real estate attorney and find out who they use to do title searches.  1986 is not that old when it comes to real estate property records.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Do a little research, make your best guess and hope you don't get audited.  For example this graph indicates houses were worth about 25-30% of today's value, back in 1986. 

https://dqydj.com/historical-home-prices/

If you owned it in 1986, do you have some record of RE tax paid (check register, deduction on tax form)?  Compare that to current tax bill.

@Makeitmore wrote:

I inherited real property in 1986. Have no means of finding out value of property from that date. Real estate realtor no help. Tax office does not keep records that old. What do I do now?

I will suggest engaging the services of a licensed real estate appraiser. They have the experience and resources to conduct appraisals for past years. Additionally, the IRS will accept the appraised value from a licensed appraiser almost without exception.

So, just to verify...I only enter my half of the sales amount and half of the FMV?

Thanks!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, just your half. Remember, half of any sales expenses get added to the basis. The sales price should be half of the 1099-S.

@deniseteague

My brother died last year in Florida and his home was under the homestead protection.  The Florida Court confirmed the Home Stead protection and it was released for sell.  The final sell was divided between one other brother.  He lives in Puerto Rico and I live in New Jersey.

I understand that this property is an inheritance property do I need to pay federal and or NJ state taxes on the gains from this sell?

Thank you for your quick reply.

[removed]

email: [email address removed]

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@HV2019TAXES  Your personal information has been removed from this public message board to protect your privacy.  You are correct:  you pay taxes on the amount of gain on the sale.  If your sale was after inheriting the property, then your taxable gain will be less than if you sold the property before inheriting it. (For instance, if he transferred the property before his death).  It is taxable to the US as capital gains tax, and is taxable to your home state of New Jersey because your resident state may tax all of your income.

We are sorry for your loss.

Lawrome01

Is the money received from the sale of my relative's  home taxable?

What is the procedure for paying taxes on the sale of inherited property?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. What is the procedure for paying taxes on the sale of inherited property?

A. You report the sale on your annual income tax return, using form 8949 and Schedule D.   Form 8949 is used to calculate the capital gain  on the sale which is your taxable income.  Check you closing statement for a form 1099-S.  

If you are asking if you need to pay some income tax at the time of the sale; probably not. See discussion on estimated tax payments below.  

(Repeated form above discussion):   What may be  taxable is the "capital gain" on the sale of the property.  The capital gain is the difference between what you sold it for and the cost basis. Cost basis is usually what you paid for the property. But, in the case of inherited property, cost basis is the fair market value on the date of death.  A capital loss on personal use property is not deductible.  Most inherited property, even your parent's home,  is considered investment property unless you (the heir) used it for personal use.  Long term capital gains are taxed at lower rates than ordinary income.  For lower income people, some or all of the gain may be taxed at 0%. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Estimated Tax Payments. You should pay in quarterly estimated taxes if you don't have enough withholding taken out to cover the tax on all your income. You might be able to increase your W2 withholding, at your regular job, to account for the extra income.
You should make estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:
- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits. 
- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of: 90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or  100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (110% if your income will be more than $150K) . Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months.

TurboTax (TT) can prepare the quarterly payment vouchers. In your 2020 software, enter at:

Federal Taxes or Personal (H&B version)

-Other Tax Situations

-Other Tax Forms

-Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

On the next screen answer No to the W-4 question

If your goal is just to avoid the underpayment penalty, then paying 100% of the prior year tax liability is the “safe haven”

Or you can obtain  blank IRS Form 1040-ES from the IRS. The form and instructions are at this link:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

You can also pay Federal directly here.  Be sure to select 1040ES:

https://www.irs.gov/Payments

rcbhelp

What property code do I use on Form 6252.

For property received because my dad died.

Are you receiving payments over two or more tax years (i.e., an actual installment sale)?

How was the property being held (for what use)?

Select personal use property unless you were holding the property for investment or rental use.

Note: Are you certain you have a gain? If you inherited the property, your basis would typically be the fair market value on the date of death. 

Is the money received from the sale of inherent property taxable?

what type of property?  did you receive the property from the estate and sold it? it could have been sold by the estate and then it would be up to the administrator as to reporting the sale on the estate trust return and paying the taxes which would make the distribution tax-free or distributing the gain out to the heirs via a trust k-1.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies