turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is my unborn Child a dependent?

My Wife has been pregnant since august of 2013 can we claim our unborn as a dependent? and can we claim the medical expenses and child care expenses on our taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rainydaze

If your child is not yet born, you cannot claim him/her as a dependent. 

Unreimbursed medical expenses for your wife can be claimed along with other unreimbursed medical expenses on your Schedule A.  Note that the amount claimable is subject to a minimum threshold based on your AGI.

You cannot claim child care expenses for a child that has not yet been born.  Also, to claim child care expenses, you'll need the EIN or SSN of the care provider.

LorieS

Hi.

Congratulations! This must be a very exciting time. Unfortunately, there is not a tax credit or deduction for the baby until after the baby is born. Any medical expenses you paid in 2013 for prenatal care is deductible on your itemized deductions if you use them however, it is limited by 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income and any insurance reimbursements. Be sure to include prescriptions like prenatal vitamins or iron!

Best wishes. Thank you for choosing Turbo Tax. Lorie

With the new abortion laws in Ga unborn child can be claimed are there any updates for this

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The IRS has not updated its definition of a dependent. Under IRS rules, in order to claim a newborn child as a dependent, state or local law must treat the child as having been born alive, and there must be proof of a live birth shown by an official document like a birth certificate.

See Dependents 10

TurboTax does include a place in the Georgia section to claim a dependent personal exemption in the amount of $3,000 for each unborn child.

On the screen Here’s the income that Georgia handles differently, scroll down to Miscellaneous and select Dependent Personal Exemption for Unborn Children.

@Sonjamccune 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies