turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

International student filed with turbotax

I was not informed about the fact that international students ( Non Resident) are not supposed to use the Turbotax website to file the tax return. However, I had already filed it on the website and the file was already approved by the IRS. I still have not received that money yet. I just want to make sure that I will not get into any trouble if I really filed the wrong form.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you are on a F-1 visa and 2016 was the year within five years from the year you first entered US, you are considered as a nonresident and required to file a Form 1040-NR.  As TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR, you are advised to use Sprintax to complete your filing.  If you have already filed your taxes with TurboTax, you can simply amend your Form 1040 to Form 1040-NR by following these steps.  No worry, you are not in trouble.  Just need a little fix. 

If your original return generates a refund, you should wait until your original refund arrives before you file your amendment. You can cash your check, but you still should wait until your current tax return is resolved.

To amend from Form 1040 to 1040NR,   here are the steps:

-If you are considered as a nonresident, as TurboTax does not support the NR form, you are recommended to use our  affiliated partner, Sprintax  to complete your 1040-NR filing.  

1.  Download the Form 1040-X from IRS website ( see below).  On the front page of Form 1040-X, enter your name,                    current address, and social security number (SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)

2.  Do not enter any other information on page 1.  

3.  Do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.

4.  Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.

5.  Complete a new or corrected form 1040-NR by using Sprintax, see above.

6.  Across the top of the 1040-NR, write “Amended

7.  Attach form 1040-X to the back of Form 1040X

For more information, see:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf  - form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf  - instructions

page 5 under Residents and Nonresidents

dahae7777

Can I file an amendment form to change from Form 1040 to Form 1040-NR after the due date of tax filing (April 16)?

What to do regarding Pennsylvania state tax?

Hi, does this also apply to F-1 students who first entered in or before 2010 (more than 5 years of being in the U.S. in 2016)?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

For year 2020, you are considered as a US resident for tax purposes.  You will be filing a Form 1040 and report worldwide income.  

If you came to US before 2010, you are considered as exempt, not counting days for five years from year of 2010 to 2014.  Starting from January 1st 2015, if you stay in the US for at least 183 days or meet the Substantial Presence Test SPT, you will be considered as a resident.  To learn more about SPT, click here: Substantial Presence Test  

@sallydoihs

For states, generally, you will file based on the regular filing requirements.  It is based on how many days you reside within the state in the year.  Every state has it's own rules for visa holders which is different than the IRS rules.  I will suggest you to contact your states for verification.  Click here: States or read here: Personal Income Tax Brochure for PA

@Pikachu123

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies