Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In Illinois, is my monthly HOA on my investment property tax-deductible?

The HOA on my investment condo is high and I would love to deduct it if that's allowed.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

if it's rental the HOA fee should be reported on form Federal 1040  schedule E just like other expenses related to the rental. Since Illinois starts out its return with the federal adjusted gross income the deduction would flow through to the Illinois return.  if this is investment property (not sure want you mean if it isn't rental other than it being a second residence) the HOA fee would not be deductible for either federal or state purposes. 

What do you mean by investment property?

If NOT a rental (you are simply holding it and hoping it will gain value) then the situation is complicated.

Prior to the TCJA of 2018, investors could choose to deduct investment costs as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% rule. However, this deduction was limited to the amount of actual investment income you reported as taxable income on the same tax return.

Or, investors could capitalize their costs.  That means adding them to the cost basis.  That does not result in an immediate tax deduction but reduces their capital gains when they sell.  (For example, someone holding vacant land might choose to capitalize their annual property taxes instead of deducting them on schedule A.). To capitalize your costs, you must file by mail and attach a written statement of the costs.

After the TCJA, this is still up in the air.   The code section says you can choose to capitalize costs that would have been deductible.  Under the TCJA, the entire category of miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% rule is disallowed for 2018-2025.  Since the costs are no longer deductible, they might no longer qualify for capitalization either.  The IRS has not issues official guidance.

You may want to seek professional representation.

Finally and separately, any HOA special assessments for capital improvements (new roof, etc.) would be added to your cost basis.  On a rental, they would be depreciated over 27.5 years instead of deducted.  On a non-rental property, they would be added to the cost basis and would reduce your gains when you sell. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies